Quick, you’re almost out of time for resolutions!

It’s the end of a calendar year. Traditionally, it’s the one time all year you should look at what’s been happening and see how you can make your life better. January 1st is the day we make New Year’s resolutions to lose weight, volunteer, hit the gym, and quit smoking. Let’s make huge changes that we don’t make all year long, because today the calendar year went up by a whole digit!

Except that’s bullshit. There are plenty of times throughout the year to take stock of your progress. There’s birthdays, and yes, major holidays (including New Year’s) to reflect on the past and what lies ahead. There are also meaningful events, like moving, getting engaged or married, having a kid, or getting a new job, that open our eyes to where we want to see ourselves in the future – or sadder times such as deaths, losing an old job, and divorces and breakups, which also provide us with an opportunity to reevaluate where we direct our energy.

It’s not important that the calendar year changes; 2015 is just based on an arbitrary number that someone picked thousands of years ago. It is useful, however, to stop and mark the passage of time and reflect on the way things have been going and make a commitment inside yourself to do better, to try harder, and to persevere.

My goal for 2015? My New Year’s resolution is to not make January 1st be the only day that I notice shit’s not been working out, and create a resolution to make it better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *